Thursday, March 29, 2012

Unexplainable

Our social worker recently received Ruth and Emmanuel’s birth certificates, so hopefully we’ll be able to file the I-800 soon. We were told to prepare to have to wait another six months before travel…which feels crazy but is yet another opportunity to remember that God’s timing is always best.

His judgment is always best, too. I’m learning in a very personal way that people’s judgment is not.  Let me give you an example. A couple of weeks ago I was speaking with a coworker I know well. Her excitement for our kids is really special, so I wasn’t surprised when she told me we should have lots of kids because I’m so good with them. It made me chuckle for a moment because she’s only seen me with college students. But I appreciated her comment and told her that Barak and I couldn’t be happier about the kids we have—our kids. Then she said that she hoped I would get pregnant. Ok, I’ve heard that comment a lot the last two and a half years, but this was the first time since “meeting” our children. I could feel it hit something in my heart…something that reminded me that people might make similar comments to our children, making them feel like they are second best. I again assured her that we couldn’t be happier with the family God has chosen for us, and that this is our FIRST choice. That didn’t stop her, however. She added that she was going to pray that I would get pregnant. I couldn’t believe it. So I decided to let her know why that was impossible, figuring that would end the conversation. Nope. That is when she added that she believed in a God who can do miracles. I politely told her that I do, too, and that our family is one of the happiest miracles I know—and promptly left the room.

Ruth and Emmanuel met with their new social worker two days ago, and Ruth, who had commented a few weeks ago about how much we love them, asked why we love them so much. It’s hard to write that statement without feeling the tears creeping up. The best part is that last night our social worker told us we could write them an email. So we made a letter/card complete with pictures and bright colors. We also answered Ruth’s question: It’s simple. God put an indescribable love in our hearts for them, and we knew instantly that they are our kids. Para siempre. Forever.

Life’s most precious gifts are simply unexplainable.

1 comment:

  1. oh yes and the hard comments (and well meaning I'm sure) have started! Good luck and many prayers for dealing with that!!! Hugs momma!!!

    ReplyDelete